How Should These 7 DEC Properties in Ulster, Orange Be Used?
If you could design a park, what you include in it? Would it have miles of trails? Boat launches for fishing? Skiing and snowshoeing rentals?
You'll have the chance to influence how state forests and recreation areas are used in seven parcels of state land in Ulster and Orange counties.
The New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) will hold a meeting at Region 3 Headquarters, 21 South Putt Corners Rd. in New Paltz, on Thursday, Nov. 17 from 6PM to 9PM.
The DEC wants the public's input as it develops a plan on the use and management of the following state forests and multiple use areas:
• Black Creek State Forest, Esopus
• Hemlock Ridge Multiple Use Area, Plattekill
• High Woods Multiple Use Area, Saugerties
• Mount Peter Hawk Watch, Warwick
• Pochuck Mountain State Forest, Warwick
• Stewart State Forest, New Windsor, Montgomery and Newburgh
• Turkey Point State Forest, Saugerties
The seven properties will be covered by a single New England-West Unit Management Plan to allow regional forestry staff to operate them efficiently.
Written comments on the use and manage the state land can be emailed to r3.UMP@dec.ny.gov or mailed to:
NYS DEC Region 3 Office
Division of Lands and Forests,
21 South Putt Corners Rd.
New Paltz, NY 12561
All comments must be received by Dec. 9.